Resume Writing & Career Coaching
Call me a geek, but I enjoy writing resumes. I think it’s because I love getting to know the essence of people and helping them get the job they want. I’m especially good at reshaping resumes to highlight your skills and accomplishments while de-emphasizing any potential problems.
I follow four main steps in crafting resumes:
- I’ll ask you to send me your resume in advance of our meeting.
- We’ll meet for 1½-2 hours by phone or video to discuss your employment history and career objectives in-depth. I will ask you to provide a job description if there is a particular position you are targeting, and I’ll give you suggestions for enhancing your resume.
- I create the first draft of your resume. Then we’ll meet again for 30-45 minutes to discuss the draft, focusing on accuracy and clarification of any questions/gaps.
- I finalize your resume and send it to you electronically. After this point, any additional revisions (other than minor changes or typos) will incur additional fees.
Clients often choose to continue working with me for assistance in crafting cover letters, preparing for job interviews, or career coaching – especially as they transition into higher-level positions. As with my other coaching programs, I charge hourly for these services.
No two people are the same, and therefore, no two coaching relationships are the same. That’s why as an executive career coach, I tailor my approach to each client based on his/her individual needs, strengths, goals and business requirements. That’s also the “holistic” part of my coaching practice–I look at each person as a whole, and start where they are to build the skills they need to enhance job performance.
That said--whether coaching members of the executive team, emerging leaders, or high potential employees not growing as fast as expected–common themes often surface. These may include:
- Identifying and correcting personal blind spots, self-limiting beliefs and less-than-productive habits
- Improving communication, presentation, networking and strategic-thinking skills
- Building confidence and leadership capabilities, including high performance team management
Together, I work with my clients to organically build trust, address the issues facing them, and develop solutions that will work for them and their colleagues. For example, I’ve worked with:
- A SVP of HR at a private, multi-national company to strategize best/worst case scenarios addressing sensitive personnel issues. We worked to ensure appropriate opportunities for a problematic employee while maintaining overall business imperatives and personal integrity.
- A mid-level manager within a highly visible and highly politicized State University administrative organization to lead her matrixed team (and her supervisors) more effectively using positive influence versus positional power. This required understanding the key organizational players, teasing out and addressing historic biases, clarifying appropriate personal and organizational boundaries, and ensuring established processes were followed.
- A multi-business owner to reallocate time and resources among three businesses to best align with her personal passions, strategic interests and financial growth expectations while maintaining a seamless positive experience for her customers.
Contact me here for my rate for individual clients and for project rates for corporate-sponsored clients (fees are dependent on number of clients, expected length of engagement and scope of work required).